Keep Cool Outdoors with a Free Standing Patio Umbrella
A free standing patio umbrella is a type of outdoor shade that can be moved around to different areas of your backyard. Unlike a table umbrella that is secured through a hole in the center of a patio table, free standing patio umbrellas have a sturdy base that allows them to stand independently. They come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and materials to fit any outdoor aesthetic.
Benefits of Using a Free Standing Patio UmbrellaThere are several reasons why free standing patio umbrellas are a popular outdoor accessory. Here are some of the benefits:
- Provides shade and sun protection: Whether you want to read a book, have a meal, or simply relax outdoors, a free standing patio umbrella can protect you from harmful UV rays.
- Versatile: You can move a free standing patio umbrella around your backyard to find the perfect spot to lounge or entertain.
- Adds style to your backyard: With a wide range of colors, patterns, and designs, a free standing patio umbrella can enhance the aesthetic of your outdoor space.
- Easy to set up and take down: Unlike a permanent outdoor shade structure, a free standing patio umbrella is easy to assemble and disassemble as needed.
Factors to Consider When Purchasing a Free Standing Patio UmbrellaBefore you buy a free standing patio umbrella, there are a few factors to consider:
- Size: Consider the size of your outdoor space and how much shade you need. A larger umbrella will provide more shade but may take up more space.
- Material: Look for an umbrella made of durable and weather-resistant materials such as aluminum, steel, or polyester.
- Base weight: Make sure the base of your umbrella is heavy enough to withstand strong winds. A base with a weight of at least 50 pounds is recommended.
- Tilt function: Some free standing patio umbrellas have a tilt function, which allows you to adjust the angle of the umbrella to block the sun as it moves throughout the day.
- Lights: Some free standing patio umbrellas come with built-in LED lights to create a cozy atmosphere in the evenings.
- Waterproofing: If you live in a rainy area, look for an umbrella that is waterproof or has a water-resistant coating.
How to Set Up and Maintain Your Free Standing Patio UmbrellaSetting up a free standing patio umbrella is a fairly simple process. Here are the steps to follow:
- Choose a flat and stable surface for your umbrella base.
- Fill the base with sand or water to add weight and stability.
- Insert the umbrella pole into the base and tighten the locking mechanism.
- Open the umbrella by turning the crank or pulling the rope.
- Adjust the angle of the umbrella to your desired position.
- Use a cover to protect your umbrella when not in use.
- Clean the fabric regularly with soap and water.
- Remove any debris from the umbrella, including leaves, dirt, and cobwebs.
- Store your umbrella indoors during the winter months or during periods of heavy rain or wind.
- Tighten any loose bolts or screws to ensure stability.